SCM

Sunday, June 11, 2017

11 June 2017

Toddler Class
Coach Ochie
Asst. 1 : Arleen
Asst. 2 : Tirza & Theresia

Primary Class 1-3
Coach Shianty
(Asst. Dewi & Daniel)

Primary Class 4-6
Coach Savitri


JESUS, OUR SHEPHERD

HOOK 

FILLER VIDEO: Jesus, My Shepherd
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z05egmc7Jr8


LESSON : JESUS, OUR SHEPHERD (Psalm 23:1)

Today we’re going to look at a psalm of David.

What’s a psalm? A psalm is a Hebrew poem or song, usually played on a harp or a string instrument.

Do you remember who David was? David was the shepherd boy who took down Goliath with a slingshot and some smooth stones.

David became King of Israel. But he was also a musician and liked to write poems and songs. He was a famous psalm writer or psalmist.

Psalm 23 is one of the more famous psalms written by David.

Let’s read it through together:

The LORD is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, 
He refreshes my soul. He guides me along the right paths for His name’s sake.
Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me;
our rod and your staff, they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies, 
You anoint my head with oil
my cup overflows.
Surely your goodness and love will follow me 
     all the days of my life,
And I will dwell in the house of the LORD 
     forever.

This psalm is about God being his Shepherd-King.

We’re going to learn and meditate on this psalm over the next few weeks. And by the end of it, all of you will be able to memorise the psalm.


Psalm 23:1
The Lord is my shepherd.

Let’s look at the first verse:

The Lord = who’s the Lord?
The Lord is our Almighty God
What do you know about the Lord?
He’s the creator of heaven and earth.
He’s all powerful (omnipotent).
He’s everywhere(omnipresent).
He knows everything (omniscient).


Is = what does this tell us?
Present tense. Not past. Not future. It is true for today!


Our = whose shepherd is He?
Our = us; you and me. The Lord of the whole universe is the Lord for you and for me.
Can you imagine if the king of the country knows you by name?
Wouldn’t that be great?
Wouldn’t it be greater to know that the King of the whole universe knows you by name?
He’s not just all powerful, all present, all knowing … He’s also YOUR Lord and YOUR shepherd.


Shepherd =what does a shepherd do?
David was a shepherd boy before. So he understood what a shepherd does for his sheep. David used to take care of sheep. He made sure that they had the best food and that they were safe.
Jesus said, “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.” (John 10:11). And that’s what Jesus did. He laid down his life on the cross for you and for me!


Children, we have an all-powerful, all present, all knowing God who is YOUR shepherd. One who takes care of you. One who loves you and laid down His life for you. Isn’t that amazing?

As you go through the week ahead, whatever may happen, remind yourselves every 
morning:

The Lord: Almighty and powerful 
is
my
Shepherd: who takes care of me and protects me

Let’s say it all together: The Lord is my Shepherd

Now let’s emphasise different words each time.
THE LORD is my shepherd
The Lord IS my shepherd
The Lord is MY shepherd
The Lord is my SHEPHERD

ACTIVITY SUGGESTIONS


HUDDLE TIME
In small groups, share what it means to have Jesus as our shepherd in everyday life. Pray for one another.


MEMORY VERSE

Psalm 23:1 The Lord is my shepherd
John 10:11 “Jesus is the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.” (older kids)


THEME SONG: Psalm 23
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xDMagJENz4&sns=fb

Actions from here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_yTtzMZdAQ&feature=related


SONG: I’ll Walk with Him Always
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW7k1alMCsE


SONG: Psalm 23 Worship
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0Doxv2ZG30


ACTIVITY BOOKLET:
Psalm 23:1 page

No comments:

Post a Comment